Bridges 2018 - Annual Conference and Exhibition
Sam Khan, director for bridges at Rendel, will be speaking at the Bridges 2018 Conference on 14 March 2018, delivering a talk titled ‘The Skytrain Cable-Stayed Bridge, Sydney Metro’. The Skytrain cable-stayed bridge is a first of a kind metro/rail bridge in Sydney, Australia which crosses Windsor Road.
Rendel’s bridges team, led by Sam Khan, was appointed by the Principal Contractor, Impregilo-Salini JV [ISJV], to provide professional engineering services and construction stage technical assistance on the project which comprised a 4.3 km-long, elevated, precast post-tensioned concrete segmental viaduct and an iconic first-of-a-kind cable-stayed bridge.
Rendel worked on the project from the beginning in February 2014 through to the on-going phased handover in 2018. Their services have included:
- Fully independent check (proof engineer) of the design of the viaduct and the cable-stayed bridge to ensure compliance with the client’s requirements
- Expert technical advice and value engineering on the design and erection of the cable-stayed bridge through all phases
- Technical support and assistance during the construction phase of the cable-stayed bridge through full-time site support and construction supervision
- Visiting expert support and home office support
- Independent technical advice and opinion regarding various precasting, steel fabrication and construction-related matters for the viaduct and the cable-stayed bridge
- Independent checking of the designs of temporary works for the cable-stayed bridge
The conference will be the 26th Annual Conference and Exhibition by Bridge Design and Engineering and will be held at The Ricoh Arena in Coventry, UK.