Obhur Creek Bridge and Secondary Bridges
As part of Jeddah’s expansion master plan, the two kilometre-long, 74m wide, cable-suspended arch bridge, with a main span in excess of 200m, will link the newly developed North Obhur region to the city’s main transport links and form part of the main urban arterial road network.
Located north west of King Abdulaziz International Airport, the bridge is envisioned to have eight traffic lanes (four in each direction), two sidewalks and two elevated lanes of rail transit to carry the metro line.
Rendel was appointed by the CJV, comprising GS E&C, Acciona and RTCC, to carry out the tender design and erection methodology for the mega bridge project in Saudi Arabia.
Rendel provided the following tender design services to the CJV:
- Design of the main cable-suspended concrete arch bridge spanning the Obhur Creek using highly innovative construction methods
- Erection methodology for the main bridge and marine foundations
- Design and erection methodology for a number of other PC segmental bridges within the project
- Design and construction methodology for an eight-lane roadway tunnel
- Several kilometres of embankments, including those constructed using reinforced soil
- M&E designs
- Coordination for the production of the technical documentation